Wednesday, April 29, 2009

yet another doctor's visit...

I had another 2 week checkup today and had a surprising test done. Everything was going as usual until the doctor asked me if I was still having contractions. I said yes, but just small Braxton Hicks contractions like usual. He asked how many a day I could guess-timate....I lied and told him about 10-15 per day(when it is actually more like 20-30). I thought he would be pleased at the lowered number that I had given him, but instead he threw me a gown and said,"congratulations-you just bought yourself a pelvic exam!" SO, he did a test called a Fetal Fibronectin Test (sp?)--it is supposed to measure if you are going to go into premature labor within the next 2 weeks. He said that we will have the results on Thursday and that he would call me and let me know how it turns out. If it comes back positive then I am on bed rest. YIKES--everyone pray its negative!!! Also, if we get a positive result then I have to start getting steroid shots in order to make the babies develop faster just in case they do decide to make an early debut! Now instead of every 2 weeks, I have to go in every week to get checked. The doctor said that we have hit a milestone over the past week because if I were to go into labor, the babies could survive now....so thats a plus I guess!! I don't think anything will come of this crazy test, but I guess more than anything it was just a precautionary measure....better safe than sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment