Friday, May 22, 2009

teaching an old dog new tricks--well, TRYING to!!

We bought a baby doll to try to teach our dog, Claire about babies. We use the word "babies" a lot. I think she is learning what it means. She will eat a diaper out of our diaper stacker and I will say "that is for the baby".....she spits it out only to go back later and shred it when Im not looking!! It is a slow process, but I think she is coming around to it. I hold the baby and tell her to "LOOOOVE the baby". She does get a little more gentle, but she always throws it around when I turn my back and stop talking baby talk. We put a baby gate up in the doorway of the nursery so she can't get in there. I always ask her if she wants to go into the babies room. She knows what that means and she always comes with me and sleeps under the cribs. She is very posessive of it though.....I think she thinks it is HER nursery!?! We have a long way to go with her, but I think we can do it. She is just so spoiled and she has been our baby for the past 2 years. I just feel bad that she has NO clue what is in store for her. Her life is going to change forever and she won't understand. Most dogs only have to adjust to 1 baby....and she has 2 to adjust to!! Im afraid she will think we love her less. :(

This is what I came home to this afternoon!! I hope she doesn't eat our children!!!


Claire "loooving the baby"!

When we first found out that we were pregnant with twins, my dad told me that the reason God gave us 2 children was because Claire would kill and eat one....this way we will have a child leftover!!! LOL--actually thats not so funny (well maybe a little bit)!!!

2 comments:

  1. I was worried about the same thing with Sampson. I think I may have even cried about it one night! Once Elly arrived I didn't think twice about it and Sampson was just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, we thought the same thing before we had Laine. Our dogs have been our pride and joys for the past two years as well. I know you wont fully understand the difference until you have the babies, but everything just sort of falls into place once the little one (or ones in your case) is (are) born. I used to cry and think that my dogs would feel like we loved them less, but it's not like that at all. I agree with the person above you...once those babies are born you won't think twice ( you wont have time to think at all)!!!!!

    ReplyDelete