Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The explosive ending to our Fourth of July

We had gone out to Burleson for the fireworks show that Ryan's parents have in their neighborhood. I was feeling tired and weak so I immediately went to bed as soon as we walked through the door. At about 1:45am I got up to make one of my many bathroom breaks. As I stood up and began walking, I felt a little trickle run down my leg. My first though was...I'm peeing in my pants! After I really did go to the bathroom I stood up and started walking back to bed....and there the trickle was again. At that point I though, "well this couldn't be pee because I just went!" I called my mom and told her that I though my water had broken....I ran and got Ryan(who was passed out on the couch from too much drinking at the fireworks party). Keep in mind, I wasn't packed for the hospital and I have no makeup on. I was surprisingly very calm. I was putting on a little makeup while I was telling Ryan what to throw into a bag. We left for the hospital at about 2:00am and get check in. The nurses were waiting for me because I had called and told them we were headed that way. Luckily I was the only one there at the time and so I had all their attention...which hurried up the process of actually getting me onto the labor and delivery floor. I wasn't hurting, I had no contraction and everything felt normal....but I knew what was coming. They scheduled me for a 7am c-section, so that 2 doctors could be there to deliver both babies. We waited the 5 hours and at about 7:15 they rolled me into the room and gave me my spinal....which turned out to be a breeze compared to what I had envisioned in my mind. I have to say that I didn't enjoy the surgery, but it honestly wasn't bad at all. The worst part of it was that I kept getting nautious on the table so the anesthesiologist had to keep hitting me with more medicine. I remember at one point I started dry heaving and I was afraid the thrusting of my stomach would mess up the surgery...but it didn't!! At 7:30am, Addison was born. She weighed 4 pounds 10 ounces. She was having a little trouble breathing, so they put her on a C-PAP to help her breathe. At 7:32am, Ashlyn was born. She weighed 4 pounds 1 ounce. She was doing a lot better than her sister, so they let Ryan bring her over to me so I could see her. The girls both went into NICU, since they were 6 weeks early. The doctors originally told us that they would stay there for about 2-4 weeks. But 5 days later we got to go home. The girls are amazingly strong for being so preemie. I love being a mom so far...aside from the no sleep(but I guess that is to be expected). I have just been so busy that I haven't had the time to blog about my experiences thus far. Hopefully in the next several weeks I will be able to adjust more and have more time to keep a small "diary" of whats going on in the Wallace house!!

waiting to go into surgery


during my c section


DRUGGED in the recovery room


Ashlyn in NICU....this was my first time to hold her


Addison on her C-PAP. It looked a lot worse than it actually was. She only had to wear it for 24 hours.


This is my first time to hold both babies at once!!


This is the first picture that we have of them together. We were comparing their looks. They are fraternal because they have different blood types, but they do look similar!

2 comments:

  1. They are so cute! I'm glad to hear the whole thing wasn't traumatic for you. Sounds like everything went according to plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous mommy and gorgeous babies! Congratulations and good luck with everything! You will sleep again, I can't imagine having two babies and I am excited to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete