Wednesday, March 17, 2010

We survived the stomach virus

Monday morning Addison woke up with the stomach virus. I know it has been going around like crazy, but I've been really careful to not take the girls out unless I HAD to. I don't know where she would have gotten the germs, but she did. She threw up 6 times. It was so sad...her eyes would water and she couldn't breathe...then when she would catch her breath she would whimper this little squeaky sound that just broke my heart. I actually cried too while she was throwing up! The worst of it only lasted about 3 1/2 hours, but we are still working on getting her appetite back to normal. She is still sleeping a lot too. But I feel more confident with sickness now because I know how to handle it. For some reason it seemed to help to just strip them down to nothing but their diaper!! It was pretty messy at first, but I got it all under control after a few barfs!! I ended up calling the nurse, just to make sure I was doing all the right things and she told me that Ashlyn and I would probably get it next. She said to give it 24 to 36 hours and if we didn't have it by then we were in the clear. Well, 24 hours went by and we felt fine......35 hours went by and we felt fine.....right on the dot--36 hours I heard Ashlyn in her crib gagging(it was about 11:00pm). I raced in there and she was sick!!!! So we had to do it all over again, but this time it was through the middle of the night rather than during the day. Ashlyn seemed to handle it much better than Addison. Addison made such a production out of throwing up...she even projectiled 2 feet!! Ashlyn was very dainty about it all. She would get very still and focus on what was happening. She never cried through it...she meant business!! When she finished, she went back to sleep! By 3am she seemed to be feeling better and hadn't gotten sick in 2 hours so I put her back in bed. This morning its almost like nothing ever happened!! Ashlyn is her same silly self again...without an appetite though. Now, if Ryan and I can make it through Friday afternoon we will be in the clear....I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!
I made our couch into a make shift hospital bed. I covered it with a sheet since Addison kept spewing everywhere!



Ashlyn was so tired and weak, it was so sad....but sweet because she was a cuddle bug!




Even when she was feeling terrible, she still was curious about the camera!

2 comments:

  1. Just an update....Ryan IS NOT in the clear! He came home this evening with a fever and the barfs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor babies! They look so tired. That would be so hard to watch.

    ReplyDelete